- 11 May 2021
- Posted by: Team for Youth Association
- Category: Volunteering Stories
Hi, my name is Arthur. I am 22 years old and I come from Nantes, a city in the west of France. I’m currently a volunteer in Civic Service at the association Team for Youth in Baia Mare, Romania.
I used to study in the field of computer science but despite obtaining a diploma, I realized that this was not what I wanted to build my life on. I then chose to start volunteering in order to open myself to the world, to discover new domains, cultures and to meet people from different origins.
As a volunteer in Civic Service, I have, within the association, a status a little bit apart which allows me a great diversity as regards my missions. These are arranged around 3 main axes:
- The realization and sharing of content for the association itself (sharing projects, creating videos for social networks, setting up podcasts…)
- Helping with CES volunteer projects (photographer for events, providing knowledge on certain subjects, co-leading activities…)
- The implementation of my own personal projects such as the FAR project: a project on the theme of clichés and preconceived ideas realized jointly with French and Romanian participants.
Having had the opportunity to spend my Civic Service in both France and Romania, I was able, during my missions, to touch many fields that I knew little or nothing about and that I managed to develop over time. From the discovery of video editing to the realization of a radio program, through the animation of activities for children, I was able to broaden my range of skills in a consistent manner.
I also take advantage of my free time to try to discover Romania, a country I hardly knew before coming. Whether it is its medieval cities, its typical traditions, or its picturesque hiking trails, it is a great thing for me to travel through this country.
Despite the fact that it is a new experience for me, I managed to adapt relatively easily to my current environment. You quickly get used to living with a roommate and living in a new country for a long period of time. Of course, not everything is perfect, but overcoming obstacles is what allows us to grow and always move forward.